EASY! 5 TIPS FOR CHOOSING A UNIQUE COMPANY NAME
What name do you want to put on the company? Let’s research tips and how to choose an interesting company name!
By AZIZAM AZIZAN
A name is a symbol of identity to a person especially to a company. It is very closely related to business branding. Wrong choice of name can create various problems to the business. However, do you know how to choose unique and special names safely? Here are the guidelines and tips for choosing your company name!
HOW TO CHOOSE AN INTERESTING COMPANY NAME?
There are several ways to find your coveted company name. Here are 3 ways to spark your creativity in finding the name of your potential company:
- You can use an identity or type of business to build a unique company name. For example, Hassan Hypermarket where hassan is the name and hypermarket is the type of business conducted.
- Try google name generators like namelix.com, businessnamegenerator.com or novanym.com to find interesting ideas to make a company name.
- A name that is special to yourself can also be suggested to be placed as a company name such as your last name, your short name or names that describe yourself.
TIPS FOR CHOOSING A UNIQUE COMPANY NAME!
Here are 5 tips in choosing an attractive company name:
SHORT AND COMPACT NAMES
A short company name is very easy to remember. Preferably the company name uses only one to two words. We can see giant companies like Apple, Huawei, Tesla, Netflix using short names to make it easier for people to remember them. You can try to find a short name but it suits you to be registered as a company name.
The company name should be relevant and describe the business being conducted. It is very important to avoid customer confusion later. For example, your company name is Aida Catering but you trade in beauty products.
It is recommended that you put the name of your existing company related to the business industry in which you are involved. For example, Pelita Nasi Kandar Restaurant is a business in the food industry and their name symbolizes the nasi kandar business that they pioneered. When putting a clear name, it is easy for customers to know the offers offered by your company.
CLEAR AND NOT CONFUSING
Often when looking for a company name, we choose names that are so sophisticated that it can be confusing. This often happens when we combine names or create acronyms that we ourselves understand the meaning of. Be careful when creating the name so that it does not give rise to unwanted meanings or the same as the existing company.
A unique company name is sure to always be remembered by customers. Then you need to be creative in finding your company name. One of the suggestions is to use other language words to be the name of your company. For example, Bonita is a Portuguese word that means beautiful. Make sure the name you choose does not mean bad or negative.
GUIDELINES CHOOSING COMPANY NAME
There are several guidelines that have been outlined by the Companies Act 2016 regarding the selection of names, among them are:
- The Company name for Company in Malaysia should end with word Berhad or Bhd and for Private Company the word Sendirian Berhad or Sdn Bhd.
- 2 Categories
Personal Name – Follow your NRIC or your combination with your partner. Example Azizam Azizan Sdn bhd
Trade Name – Other than personal name, it is better to choose name that represent your Business
- Word Count – Not too short or too long – The business name must not be too short or more than 50 words;
- Too general –Business name should not too general.
- Represent your Business – Choose a company name that symbolizes your business; For example if the company is related to the construction industry, it is suggested to put words like mining, contractor, build in your company name;
- Can be read – Business name must readable, Using other language symbol is not allowed such as مثال (Arabic), 예 (Korea), 例 (Chinese) are not allowed.
- Same or Similar Name – Did you know that until 2020, 7 million businesses have been registered with SSM? With many company names, SSM rarely approves more or less the same company name;
- Not Politic Name – UMNO, Bersatu, Amanah, PKR, Pakatan Harapan, Barisan Nasional
- Royal family Name – Names suggesting connection with a members of the Royal family or Royal patronage including names containing such words as “Royal”, “King”, “Queen”, “Prince”, “Princess”, “Crown”, “Regent” or “Imperial”;
- Association Name – Name such as Asean, Commonwealth or foreign government or with the United Nations or with any other international organization or cartel including names containing such words as “ASEAN”, “UNESCO”, “NATO”, “EEC” ,“OPEC”
- Not Gazzated Word –Please refer below
- Not Controlling word –Refer Below
- The names of the gods
- The name is thought to be inappropriate – Your name must not unlawful name, example Gangster, Yazuka, Mob, ISIS